Tuesday, July 8, 2008

This is a genius idea I wish I'd thought of when I started this place

I think I've stumbled upon the answer to the question that bloggers have been asking since their inception. Why do print journalists hate us so much? Is it the whole watchdog being watched thing? Is it because they're old and don't want to learn how to use a computer? Is it because they spent years honing their craft only to realize some jackass living in his mother's basement is better at writing than they are? Is it because they secretly wish they too could pepper their columns with well placed dick jokes?

Well, the answer to those questions is probably no. The reason they hate blogs so much is because they're way too easy to navigate.

I've been writing this site for a whole week and I'm already ready to throw my monitor across the room. Why? Because I've been scouring The Record's website for all those stories that I've read over the past couple months that pissed me off enough to make me create a blog. I forgot that I usually consume The Record in fishwrap form. (aka print) But I can't really link to a piece of paper, so I mosey on over the the previously linked webstie to give you guys the precious precious links that makes half the potshots I take at this town make sense. You have no idea how much of a task this is.
The Record's website appears to have been put together by a retarded 4 year old. If I want to find something I read in the Local section, it would seem natural that if you click the Local link, it would show you the stories from the Local section. And guess what? It does. Only the stories seem to be organized in no real discernable order. One would assume the stories deemed important enough to grace the front of section B would also be the stories most easily found on the Local webpage. Unfortunatly that old saying about assumptions making an ass out of "u" and "me" rings true here.

So after a couple of increasingly irritating minutes, I gave up and just used the search box to find every story I'll probably ever be linking to. And all to make it easier on you to find the interesting stories online that are buried beneath the 50 or so "God damn it's hot, isn't it?" stories.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel. The Record recognizes how frustrating it can be to locate a web version of a story you saw in print. So as a gift to you the reader, they created the erecord! That's right, for the low low price of the cost of a 7-day subscription you too can peruse an almost exact digital copy of The Record (layout in tact!). Yes, you too can pay whatever outrageous price they charge these days to read all those pages of AP stories that you already read on Yahoo for free.

No comments: