Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Well, this sucks

Hi, I'm El Duke. I'm the new guy. I'll try and do some official introduction later. But there's more pressing matters. One of my friends died in a motorcycle accident today. His name was Nick and he was a good guy. Yes, I'm aware the linked article says he's in critical condition, but I got a call earlier today that he was brain dead and they were pulling the plug at noon today. He's donating his organs, which is nice, but it doesn't detract from the fact that this death shouldn't have happened. Why? Because he was drunk.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-drinking. I'll throw down with the best of them and can name every bar within a 10 mile radius of my apartment. I'll also admit to driving after having a drink or two, but never too much. I've had to go to too many wakes/memorial services at bars in my short lifetime. In fact, I just went to one a couple weeks ago to commemorate the 1 year anniversary of the drunk driving death of Jeremiah "J.D." Davis and Brandon Baker. It was a touching tribute to friends that left us way too soon. It made me remember to think twice when I decide how I'm getting to and from the bar. Unfortunately the same message didn't reach Nick. It should have though, J.D. was his cousin.

Rest in Peace pal.

No comments: