Wednesday, March 11, 2009

In case you needed any more proof that I am in fact the next great American sportswriter

About a month ago I wrote about dealing with the steroids era in relation to comparing different eras using statistics. I argued that steroids took our judgement of a player's quality out of the hands of mathematicians and once again made it a personal judgement call. You can't measure greatness with numbers. We each have to decide who's great on our own. Which is something we got away from once Moneyball and Baseball Prospectus became all the rage. Stats are a good guide, but they are by no means gospel. Which is something a lot of analysts seem to forget.

One analyst who apparently didn't forget is ESPN.com columnist Bill Simmons. In his latest column for ESPN the Magazine he pretty much tackles the same subject I did a month ago, but in typical Simmons fashion, somehow tied it all in with pop culture/movie references.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm the next Bill Simmons minus the whole insufferable chowderhead part.

No comments: